Sunday, October 14, 2012

Understanding the Power of Your Power Network

It is said that "it's not what you know, but who you know that counts". I believe that "it is what you know that will give your head start, who you know that will get you going, who knows you (and your products or services) that will help you succeed, but what you do with your knowledge and relationships that will make you succeed."
So, stop thinking that you can do it all. You can't. There are not enough hours in the day for you to do everything. Stop thinking that you are irreplaceable or that no one can do nearly as good a job as you. After all, we are all mortal. As an over-achieving, overly energetic, obsessive-compulsive, competitive, I gotta-do-it-all, supermom-sister-wife-daughter-cousin-friend-colleague...I learned the hard way that it's time to stop the madness.
Just like women do, I used to think that I have to do everything that has my name on it because it's a reflection of me. Even in the process of being everyone's "go-to-woman" I knew I was abusing my body, mind, heart, soul and family, but I still did not slow down. I set such high goals for myself, that while others admired my above-average status, I still fought for the outstanding, superb, nearly perfect grade. The odd thing is that I was never disappointed if I was in 2nd place or got a "B" because I always knew it was my best. Yet, I never took the opportunity to relish in my good work, fortune, or success, because I'd be on the next 1, 2, 3 or even 4 other projects that already started.
Finally, I got a very harsh lesson in life. I got into a car accident; I was forced to stay home away from work. I couldn't use the computer, watch TV, listen to a radio, or even lift my babies. Basically, I was helpless. I was forced to slow down and see my life flash in front of me. I immediately became humbled by the many blessings God gave me, particularly my roles as wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. I quickly learned that life outside of God and family kept moving along without me, and nothing stopped for me, or because of me.
Praise to God, I had this life-changing lesson. As women, we need to slow down and appreciate our blessings. At EmpowerWomenNow.com I continuously praise and empower women to put themselves first and accept the here and now.
I also learned that good things come to those who work smart, and wisely, but most of all are cordial and kind. My selfless gift of giving was paying off. Power people (in my personal, professional, and social life) allowed me the break I needed. These power people allowed me to appreciate all the hard work and efforts I put into everything I do...or did. Since I always treated my relationships with the utmost trust, honor, and respect; this was given back to me 10 times over. I gained true loyalty from clients, and my family and friends helped me and my family through my helplessness and much, much more.
These power people make up my power network, and they allowed me to see myself in a beautiful light. By fostering good will in others, I was rewarded more than what I thought I gave. Yet, in reality, I gave so much of myself through the power of networking (strictly being myself) that they gave me back exactly what I needed: patience, understanding, loyalty and love. In turn, they all told me that "I deserve it". The pains of my body are almost minuscule to the fortune I gained--which is my life, and the true power of a power network.